In 1967 Erhard Moldzio bought Farm Donkerhuk West, close to the Namib Naukluft Park, which today is Home of ANDI’S CAMP and CAMP BARBAROSSA.
The Moldzio family’s Namibian history, begins in 1908, when Hans Dietrich Moldzio and a few friends came to German South West Africa (as Namibia was called at that time) to complete their compulsory military service, which would be shortened to one year, if completed outside Germany.
Hans Dietrich arrived in Swakopmund, together with his friends von Prittwitz, von Schuman, Benister, Hartlander and Lensen, having travelled from Germany by Steamer.
He immediately fell in love with the land, and decided to stay longer than the compulsory service year. Whilst, still serving the “Schutztruppe”, Hans Dietrich also started farming on the leased Farm Zawisses in the Kamanjab area, until he was able to purchase his first Farm: Omatjene.
In 1925 he had to move back to East Prussia, to take over the Family Business, but when this business was lost as a result of the Second World War, it was an easy decision to move back to South West Africa with his family in 1951.
Having carefully kept all his documents, he was able to get a “replacement” farm for Farm Omatjene and moved onto his new Farm, Estorff, close to Kamanjab.
Hans Dietrich’s son, Erhard Rudolf Johannes Moldzio, kept on farming on Farm Esttorf, until forced to sell the property with implementation of the Odendahl Plan, under which land was bought by the Government, to create farming land for the Damara People.
This is when Erhard purchased the Farm Donkerhuk West in 1967 and started to “Trek” (move) all his livestock and belongings, from Farm Estorff to Farm Donkerhuk West. This Trek, mainly on foot and by horse, took a couple of months, with Erhard arriving on his new farm on New Year’s Day 1968. He had with him his family, two workers, approximately 1000 Karakul sheep and 150 Cattle. Since the farm was barely developed, the family camped at “Zeltposten” (still named like that today) for over a year, until the garages at the farmstead were completed. They then stayed in the garages, until the Farmhouse was completed somewhat later.
As early as the 19th century, Donkerhuk was known as a water replenishment point along the “Bay road”, with Curt von Francios(Governor of German Southwest Africa 1891 – 1894) organising for two wells to be dug on the property, to supply water to horses, oxen and camels. These wells are still in use today, with the original water trough still being used as a waterhole for wildlife.
In 1904 the first written mentioning of Donkerhuk, was in connection with the “Donkerhuk Granite”, which can be seen on the property.
In 1906 the “farm” was bought by Otto Schiller, to mine for Berryl, Mica, Rose quartz and more. Mining was discontinued in the late 60’s, due to low production, but the mining sites can still be visited today.
Erhard Moldzio farmed this property until shortly before his death in 2016.
His children are now continuing his legacy by sharing their home with anyone in search of the tranquillity that this beautiful place has to offer.